Windsurf coaching in and around Perth


After a busy season on tour I am back in WA for the whole summer, and available for windsurfing lessons, in and around Perth.

Lessons are opened to everyone, no age limit, no minimum level requirement.

So whether you are just getting into windsurfing - or never stepped on a board before - looking to improve your planing skills, want to finally nail those carve jibes, tacks, or freestyle moves, or want to get introduced to the world of wave sailing, there is no excuse...

Email me at for more info and bookings.

For more information about my coaching check out the "coaching" section of my website.


3rd place in Sylt and 2012 Freestyle vice World Champ!



So that's it for this year. The tour is over. It's always a bit of an emotional time, with too many good friends that I won't see for a few months. But it's also full of positive emotion with all the champs being crowned and the sudden realization that the season has ended and the results are there.
I'm freestyle vice world champion for the second time in a row and I just got my first podium finish in waves. Enough reasons to celebrate - and celebrate we did!

Sylt was great. Cold, but windy and wavey. Wave sailors, freestylers and racers got their share of action out there.

We got so lucky for the waves straight from the start: cross shore with head high waves! I was up against Steffi Wahl in my first heat... Not an easy start. I sailed a good heat and managed to go through though. The following day we ran the finals and I was against Karin for 3rd and 4th. For the first time in my wave career the wind was light so only 2 waves were counting, no jump. Riding waves is what I love most and what I'm good at, and I went out there pretty relaxed and caught some good waves. And finished 3rd!

We still had to run the double elimination which means nothing's decided. You can always drop to 4th if you lose your heat. The conditions weren't good enough until the last few hours of the event. We went out in dead onshore wind, messy waves and heaps of current (I had to battle to stand in the water and not get knocked off my feet). Karin made it and I had to sail with her again. Except this time I wasn't quite as relaxed as the conditions were anything but what I'm comfortable in. Anyway, I did what I could and came out of the water pretty disappointed with myself, thinking I had lost. I'd even brought my gear all the way back up, ready to just go away with 4th... But then I heard a familiar voice shouting from the top "Treboooooouuuuxxx!!!! Awessooooome!!". That was the ever excited Sarah-Quita telling me I had won my heat. She went to double check, came back with a big smile, and off I ran back down for the next heat. I was up against Daida, sailed a bad heat, couldn't get any jump or descent ride. Daida threw some amazing jumps (for a change) and got it. Fair enough!

So that was the story of my first podium in the waves and I'm telling ya, it feels good!

The prize giving ceremony on Sunday afternoon saw a lot of world champions being crowned. Good moments.

It was really good to catch up with a lot of good friends. I hadn't giggled so much in a week in a while with my favourite Sylt flatmates Fanny and Alice, always on form. We ended the week with a massive Sunday night, a proper end of event and straight to the airport party. It wasn't the easiest journey home but the party was worth the pain. 

There are so many people I want to thank. The ones who support me, the ones who believe in me, the ones who coach me, the ones who make me happy and inspire me. You are all part of this and I will never forget any of it. Thank you.
I would also like to mention and congratulate again my amazing friend Sarah-Quita who just got her 5th Freestyle World Title - 6th including her slalom title. Thanks for the great moments on and off the water.

The girls ready for some northern weather
Well deserved pizza and red wine
The painful journey


PWA Freestyle Fuerteventura - 2nd!


I made it again! Managed to sail all the finals of all 4 eliminations and take the 2nd place at the latest PWA freestyle event that took place at Sotavento, Fuerteventura.

It's been a nerve wracking week. The wind kept switching on and off to start with, making it hard to stay focused. I was on 4.5 for the first few days, which is light for Fuerteventura, then we ended the week with proper Fuerte conditions, 3.7 stacked.

I needed a bit of time to switch my brain back to freestyle after 2 months of wave sailing, but after a couple of dodgy heats on the first day, I got back into it and sailed some really good ones.

The whole event was a lot of fun, I always love catching up with the whole freestyle crew and a lot of friends who I hadn't seen in a while.

I would like to say a special thank you to Aly Sabri ( for helping me prepare for the tour again this year, it's been great working together, I learnt so much.

Another massive thank you goes to Simon for the constant support and for putting up with my nerves and moods during the last few events!

I'm back in Tenerife for a few days now, wind and waves are here with us too, then back to Switzerland in a couple of days. Looking forward to spending some time there with family and mates, it's been a while...

Pics ©PWA / John Carter


PWA wave event Tenerife


It was a while ago, but I've been kind of busy competing lately - and when I compete I'm pretty useless at doing anything else beside it!

Anyway, better late than never, here are a few shots and lines about the PWA event in Tenerife...

I love windsurfing at Cabezo. It's a great spot for both jumping and riding, the wind is strong but usually not nuclear strong. I had been training there for a few weeks before the PWA wave events started and felt good and ready to show what I've got.

Well the conditions turned out to be a little crazy, and I sailed the whole competition on my 3.0 again! I couldn't believe I was again trying to hold onto my smallest sail, Pozo style!

I had a bit of a slow start in the single elimination. I lost a lot of confidence and struggled to sail good heats. 3.0 weather really isn't what I'm used to, and everything I can usually do perfectly turns out to be a struggle - loops, rides, I tend to lose my confidence and aggressiveness when I most need it!
Anyway, the double elimination went better. I went out there on a mission to win some heats and just about lost against Karin Jaggi in our battle for 3rd place. I had a good heat but in the end she overtook me and got it.

So 4th place it is! Not bad.

I'll fill you in about the freestyle event in Fuerte tomorrow!

Pics ©PWA / John Carter


Pozo madness


We've just had a mad week in Pozo. The first PWA wave event of the year, the "Wind and Waves Festival 2012", was a massive success. The wind was stronger than I've ever seen it so the action was simply insane, and the event was well put together, with lots of windsurfing promotion going on (like the 400 kids who came over form different schools to discover windsurfing) and side activities, music, etc.

Daida and Iballa Moreno did a great job with organizing it, big up to you two girls!

The comp started pretty well for me, with a 4th place in the single elimination. The conditions were hard core though - I couldn't hold onto my 3.0, apparently it was gusting over 60 knots - and I was struggling to show what I can do. In the double elimination I lost against Steffi Wahl and ended up 5th.

I'd like to say that all the girls out there showed some skills and bravery, and I'm just happy I came back in one piece. Unfortunately, not everyone was as lucky. Olya had a really bad crash and hurt her knee, and Justyna wrecked her foot right before the event. Wishing you both a full and fast recovery, wanna see you on the water soon again!

Although I got a bit frustrated with my sailing, the usual mad jumping show was on and it was great to watch some of the riders absolutely going off out there. If you haven't seen it, make sure you go on the PWA website and check out the videos, I guarantee you won't waste your time!

I'm back in Tenerife now. We've had a couple of super fun days and late sessions. Just loving not being totally out of control! The next PWA event is starting on Thursday and looking at the forecast there's definitely going to be swell and wind. And all the action will be again showing live on the PWA website!

Pictures ©PWA / John Carter.


Tenerife is going off


It's this time of the year again - the traditional couple of summer months in the Canaries.

I flew in a few days ago and was straight in there for the late session, flying on my 3.4 with good waves at the Wall. It hasn't stopped since - the waves have been really good and I have been on 3.4, 3.7 and 4.0 the whole time.

I'm getting properly looked after by the OTC crew too, which makes it all even better. Thanks Justin, Adam and James!

pics ©James Randall


Dahab - Soma Bay - Switzerland


I just got back to Switzerland after over a month in Egypt. It's been great. I spent 3 weeks in Dahab windsurfing on 4.0 every day and getting lots of training in, then went over to Soma Bay for the North and Fanatic photo shoot. The whole trip has been great. It's difficult to explain it all as so much happens all the time, but basically the windsurfing's been epic, I met some amazing people and caught up with lots of good friends.
The only down side in all this is how hard it is to always have to leave these friends. You get to spend such good moments and before you know it's time to move to the next place. Not easy, but definitely worth it!

I have now been in Switzerland for less than 24 hours and already scored a good sail on 4.5. We went up to a spot nearby and everyone was there! It's always so nice to sail at home. Hopefully it's the start of a windy season and there will be loads more good days. It was a bit cold with northerly wind, but luckily I had my ION 5.5mm to keep me warm. I just wasn't quite sure if my hands were still there though, couldn't feel them the whole time.

Ah and I got the cover of Windsurfing Journal year book.

Dan cruising on the heli pad
Fun even without wind
Swiss powa
Vic and I after a good sail
Front cover of Windsurfing Journal's year book


Sinai tripping


our ride

Although it hasn't been the best summer wind-wise, the whole season in Western Australia was amazing. Not that is has ever not been. It was very hard to leave, but I'm lucky to be able to go back to Switzerland to my family and friends.

I am now in Egypt for some freestyle training. And it's serious training too! We've had lots of wind already and it looks like it won't stop for a while.

Coming back to Dahab always feels like coming home. It's so good to see everyone here and get back into the Egyptian lifestyle. We've been up the coast for a bit of trip and scored such a good day: overpowered on 4.0 from 7am till sunset. What a great trip. Great people in a great place. And only 5 of us on the water.  My friends Vic and Mat from home, Alex Seyss, and even Sarah-Quita who finally made it to Dahab! Yep, learning from the master herself.

Good times!

The ride up the coast
happy days!
Sarah nailing sick burners
Alex 1h burner
Captain Treboux driving the beast
Alex and his trademark shakas


East Coast, West Coast, it's all good


Stormy WA
Empty line up
Hot WA

I finally made it over to the East Coast! It was on the list for a long time and we just did it. It was absolutely amazing. Surfed every day, got to see all these famous breaks, swam with a huge manta ray (the picture doesn't do it justice) and sharks, and just got spoilt for a week. I love the tropical weather and forest over there, it's all so green, amazing. And I still can't believe how there's good surf anywhere you stop along the coast!

Back on the West Coast now and it hasn't been bad either. It seems like the swell is back and we've had some super strong wind lately. We drove up to Gerladton last week as the forecast was looking pretty epic. Just as we got there the wind doubled in strength, it was flat unfortunately, but freestyling was awesome fun. I did the biggest switch konos ever, totally stacked on 4.0, jumping off little ramps rolling in, you could go as high as you wanted.

The next day we woke up and could just about see the outside reefs from the house, it was breaking everywhere... the swell had hit!
The wind picked early and Coro's was going off. Good waves rolling in everywhere, 30 knots, and no one there! I sailed for 6 hours that day, landed my best backie ever, and just didn't want the day to end. We came out of the water with a huge full moon shining over the dunes, long after the sun had gone down.

The next day the forecast was for 44deg so we headed back down and stopped for a surf to make the most out of the leftover swell. There were still some head high sets coming in, and we surfed by ourselves, somewhere on the West Coast, until our bodies couldn't take it anymore.

Looking at this week's forecast I have a feeling we're about to have some more fun...

Swimming with amazing creatures
Well yeah, I'm not fussy
Sunrise surf check


Chasing it


Forward  © Emma Severne

3 more trips to the South Coast, a long weekend in Lancelin and a few thousand kilometers later, we're back home for a bit more than 3 days in a row. It feels good to slow down and just enjoy being at home after weeks of chasing wind and waves all over the place.

The South Coast has been going off, the Lancelin Ocean Classic was heaps of fun (I won the wave event too!), and I've got this big smile on my face just thinking about all the good moments we've been through and shared with amazing people.

Perfect morning surf
Late sesh © Emma Severne
© Emma Severne
Si bailing an air. ©Emma Severne
getting sprayed
Trafic Jam!


Gunfire shots - peaceful ones


1h grubby

Here a few shots by Ben Pallant, from Gunfire Images. Check out his brand new website It's full of amazing shots and stories from all over WA.

We're all in Lancelin at the moment for the Lancelin Ocean Classic. The wave comp was on yesterday, unfortunately the conditions weren't very epic, but at least we managed to complete a full elimination for each category. Not sure how I did but I guess I'll know soon - the results are kept secret until the prize giving on Saturday... Tomorrow the big downwind Ledge to Lancelin race is on. There should be just enough sea breeze to run it, looking forward to it - I'm not racing but always good to watch. And then, from there it is all happening at the tavern. Big night ahead that's for sure.


South Coast Christmas Classic


Story by James McCarthy-Price - KA88

Here's a really cool and well-written story by our mate James McCarthy-Price. It's about our Christmas time down South. I love it and am sure you will too.

So here it is, enjoy the read!

Pics by James McCarthy-Price KA88, Emma Severne and myself.

pic ©Emma Severne
The South Coast

I’ve run out of Band-Aids. Five of them cover my feet and I’ve gotten away with just two on the bigger cuts in my damaged hands. Broken but elated I reminisce on the waves I punished and have been punished by.

Post-Uni celebrations are usually kept short and instead involve driving a well-worn track back to my home (and more specifically to the surf) which lies on the picturesque but wild Sou’ Eastern coastline of WA. I grew up here and I have always felt the gentle magnetism to return.

As I wait between sets, I recharge and muse on the outcomes of hectic months gone by. I let the all the negatives, the burdens and the sense of falseness in city life dissolve into the water around me. I am lucky to have grown up in this rural freedom; for that I am truly grateful. But I daren’t sit too long, the smell of a fresh ocean mist greets me… sailing today!

Spotty is the first to arrive, but there’ll be many more, he kindly puts in a hard morning’s work into clearing the spare block adjacent to our house with Boss-Price and I. By midday the foliage and prickle bushes are no more! Thanks so much Spotty! By nightfall the block has been transformed into a car park, packed with vans of weary travellers; Craig Spottiswood, Ben and Emma Severne, Simon Hurrey, Laure Treboux, Justin Stock, Liam Smyth and Rob Goyen all frothing over the upcoming pattern.

Warm morning light sends the nomads into the surf line-up forming an insta-crowd. The break only gains more punters, as the surf-illiterate tourists figure that the pack represents the best option for a paddle in the area. I wake to watch the spectacle of drop-ins and party-waves, holding out for a paddle until the crowd thins due to the unavoidable onset of morning hunger. As it gets sparse, I pounce… only to find that it turns onshore. Nooo!

Piercing eyes survey the whitecaps relentlessly until the faceoff is broken, with the wind filling in, the convoy ride out and rig up.

I’m stoked: my 80L NUDE Chopper is finally in my hands! Yew! But the wind is feathering and I choose my trusty 90L Chopper instead. I have neglected sailing waves this semester, opting for the easier 3 minute drive to the river to train freestyle and it shows… I suck! The learning curve is steep as I blow so many good sections remembering how to engage a rail. Felix Spencer sails laps around me and his improvement is phenomenal! I’m so stoked to see my bro ripping hard and my hunger to improve quickly intensifies. Ben and Si set the level with late hits and big aerials; it is awesome to watch. Eventually the wind turns offshore and I retire as Ben and Si chase some jumps, I am physically finished and retire to photog duties. Check the photos.

pic ©James KA88
pic ©James KA88
pic ©James KA88

Day two is greeted by the same packed crowd, but this time I find an uncrowded wave and have a ball zigzagging on a 5’11 twin-fin vessel created from scraps by Jas Morris at the NUDE factory. It’s quick and loose and I’m ecstatic, having only daydreamt of surfing a twin before. The wind comes in earlier this time and Si and Laure swoop getting an hours sailing in before we arrive. I chuckle as I have to tell the watching eyes in the car park that the “boy” shredding the waves isn’t a boy at all, but our Laure! Laure’s sailing and confidence has improved exponentially and she is shredding as hard as the boys!

I’m stoked after the frustrating kook session the day before. The wind picks up and I’m confident on my responsive 90L and 5.0m² 2012 S1 combo. I catch a few good waves and get some decent rail turns in. My eyes light up at the sight of a rogue logo bomb and I’m quick to claim it. It jacks up solidly and I try to aerial the decent close-out but instead floater over the section, I pause as I’m racing over the barrel contemplating my option to pull off or go for it, but my confidence gets the better of me as I throw myself off the top toward the face. Alarm bells ring out as I blow it and crash into the white water. I look back in horror and frustration; this bomb wasn’t alone! The next wave rears up over the shallow bank and breaks top to bottom over me. I can do nothing but watch on as my rig sits joyfully unaware of its fate. I frantically dive under the heaving  thick lipped barrel as it explodes right onto the join of my mast and I instantly hear that horrible underwater ‘click’ as the carbon shatters. I get washed into the rip and tug at the remains of my rig for 15 minutes against the relentless current before I finally make it to safety. Lunch time.

The wind picks up and the frustration of breaking my favourite sail is replaced with excitement as I pull my 80L out of the bag. It is mint and untarnished; I pause and relish a fleeting moment of gear-wankery at my virgin NUDE twin. Severne stomps a backy as I scurry down the stairs.

This is the second and smallest board I’ve owned, having previously being restricted to tentatively testing smaller boards off friends. I’m stoked as the smaller board flips fiercely from rail to rail and gives me the choice to get more vertical in the pocket, but I’m definitely not used to this sinking feeling! Felix tries a goiter on the wave in front of me and I reply with a hack and a gu-screw. The freedom of a smaller board is amazing!

The wind goes offshore and we pack up to chase a break with a better wind angle for some jumps. Ben and Si set the standard as the rest of the travellers watch on. Si stomps a mast high backy and Ben replies straight away. The brotherly competition lasts for a couple of hours with each trying to spray or out-jump the other. I rig up and join them if only to get a better view of the action! My freestyle skill doesn’t help me at all, as I throw myself of ramps chasing back loops and stall forwards only to come crashing down hard. You forget the welcome sting and concussive delirium of high stacks in the waves, each one pushes me harder to keep trying moves. The 80L and S1 combo feel light but confidence inspiring in the air. I eventually rattle myself hard enough to earn a return to the beach, and retire to the safety of photog duties as the brother’s fight it out in the air for superiority.

Si grimaces as the ex-Christmas cake is brought out, candles lit. He was already squirming with his red party hat and ‘Happy Birthday’ banner sitting behind him. Someone makes a wisecrack about the red hat matching his ginger locks and the laughter is kept alive directed at the only birthday candle on hand sitting proud on the cake which reads ‘50’. Happy 50thSi!

pic ©James KA88
James heading out

Morning is greeted with the familiar smell of fresh wax and the rhythm of the cold walk to the curl, but not for long! The decision is made to venture out of town to chase the wind. A pod of dolphins roll through to see us off and we head out.

The track slowly fades from tar to gravel to sand. As we stop to survey the conditions a 100m high willy-willy greets us, illuminated by a million grains of the crisp white beach sand. It dances at us with powerful charm and then evaporates into the ether, only to be replaced with the spinning 4×4 tyres as we race up the coast. The scene is set with virtually direct offshore winds buffeting corduroy lines wrapping around the point. We rig up and Felix and I dash out to be the first to hit the turquoise water. The wind angle is wild and I just manage to snag a feathering wave before bolting down the line. I rail the wave careful not to be pushed off the back before lining up a nice closeout section. It breaks in slow motion, held up by the buffeting offshore and I’m lucky to time it as I boost off the lip and come crashing down to a few victory hoots from Laure. Yeeeeeeeeew!

I change up to my 90L to help snag the rolling swells but I’m so overpowered on the wave I stick with my smaller S1. Severne is all over it boosting massive aerials with the hectic speed the offshore provides. I catch Si land a goiter off the back and Severne get worked on a failed reply goiter. I really hope I’m still pushing that hard when I’m 50! The game changes and we sail down the long wrapping bay and the waves start to break on an easier angle to the wind, the sailing is still challenging, with the eddies off the back of the waves changing direction violently, but the wave face is so rewarding with speed on tap. I foolishly try a forward off a ramp not factoring in the wind pressure off the lip and get ragdolled end-over-end nearly kissing the mast tip. Wooo! The 4×4’s chase us down the coast until the pack is ground down and eventually retire to a well-earned beverage (or four). It is not without controversy as Liam hits the beach with a very wonky mast-base. It has held on literally by a thread and we muse at the horror swim he narrowly escaped, given his far offshore downwind leg. We trickle back to town stopping off at a rural watering hole for one on the wood, enjoying the tired but accomplished feeling of a magic day.

Day breaks and an offshore zephyr grooms the lingering swell. But the block is quiet, as is the line-up, the wax sits eager and the beach is untrodden. The nomadic circus is no more as they journey north to welcome the next pattern, leaving behind only tyre-tracks and the memories of another magic Christmas.

Results for 2011 Christmas Classic:


1.Ben Severne

2.Simon Hurrey

3.Laure Treboux


1.Felix Spencer

2.James McCarthy-Price

pic ©James KA88
pic ©Emma Severne


Happy 2012


Thanks Emma for this sequence!
pic ©Emma Severne
pic ©Emma Severne

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you all had a great Christmas and good start of 2012.

I can't believe another year has passed. It's been an amazing one. Thanks to everyone who's been a part of it.

Christmas time in WA has been good. It would have been even better had our families been here - missed you all very much - but we made the most out of it: good mates, road trips, waves and wind.

In fact there has been a lot happening since my last update. We did a few runs up and down the coast and got some good wave sailing. There's been some big enough swell for Sunset to work and Coro's to be fun in Geraldton. We drove up and got there late one day. Good waves were coming in at Sunset but it was raining, light and onshore. We had raced up there to manage to fit a session that day, so we just sat and sulked for a bit, slightly disappointed. Within a few minutes though the sky cleared up, the wind switched to cross shore and the waves cleaned up. It was unexpected and heaps of fun and we sailed until dark. The next days in Coro's were awesome. I sailed for hours every day. A bit of freestyle to start the day, then wave sailing until my arms didn't work anymore.

Lancelin has been good too, we did quite a few day trips up there. We scored South Passage pretty much as good as it gets quite a few times.

In between those trips I freestyled around Perth. We got quite a few windy days here too.

Then Christmas time arrived. It was a nice chilled one at home and around, with mates and BBQ's, then off to the South Coast! We spent last week down there and it was amazing. I just love that place. We got looked after once again by the McCarthy-Price family - thanks heaps guys, you're all legends - and surfed and sailed every day.

The photo sequence above was taken by Emma Severne, thanks chick!!!

after sailing beer
Si getting some air time
Ben's little air
The Pricey's beast
Flash floods on the way back

News subscriptions

Rss_feed Twitter Rss_email_subscribe

Supported by